Do you work for the same company or organisation as your husband or wife?
Or maybe the two of you are thinking of setting up a business together?
Here are five top tips for working with your spouse and staying happily married:
- Resolve to keep work and home life as separate compartments- always take off your business hats at the end of the working day. Don’t let a business dilemma become a topic of conversation at the dinner table in the evening, and don’t let a personal disagreement at home have a knock-on effect in the office.
- Always be respectful, whether at home or at work. If one of you is subordinate to the other at work this shouldn’t affect how much respect you give each other.
- However busy life may get, spend quality time together every week and have some fun. Keep this ‘couple time’ sacred and don’t let work pressures interfere with your plans.
- You will both benefit from having your own individual space, including time to pursue your personal hobbies and interests, and possibly having separate offices if it’s practical.
- People are different, so find out what works for you as a couple. Your marriage should come first, so if working together becomes difficult, one of you can always find another job!