Do you have a demanding job? It can be hard to keep on top at work, but here are six tips from Britain’s top bosses to achieve high productivity.
- Be crystal clear about your role and your goals, and don’t get distracted. Politely decline to take on work outside of your remit.
- Do your work in short, intense bursts and then have a short break to relax; you will be more creative. Change your activity every 90 minutes if possible. We can only work intensely for 90 minutes and then we lose concentration.
- If you have to run meetings, keep them short and focused, and everyone will benefit. In long meetings the law of diminishing returns kicks in. People’s attention begins to wander and the discussion becomes unproductive.
- Keep a decent work-life balance to avoid burnout. It’s very important to have a life outside of work where you enjoy hobbies or any activity that absorbs you. If your job involves sitting at a desk all day, some physical exercise is vital for your long-term health.
- Don’t forget to take care of yourself at work; drink plenty of water and eat a healthy lunch.
- Don’t worry about things you can’t control, like the global economy. Hold yourself accountable for the things you can change, and let go of the rest.