YouTube celebrated its fifth birthday the other day (they’re younger than Paperstone!), The video-streaming site was launched on 14 February 2005 and is now a permanent fixture of popular culture. Its centrality is taken for granted by the millions who post visual ephemera every day and recognised by all but the most naïve politicians who post their vlogs in an attempt to reengage the politically disenfranchised. The site now broadcasts over a billion streams a day.
Here are the five most watched videos over its five years:
- Charlie bit my finger – again ! (160,150,052 views to date)
- Evolution of Dance (137,007,826 views)
- Miley Cyrus – 7 Things – Official Music Video (HQ) (110,524,702 views)
- Hahaha – Small daring boy (107,357,309 views)
- Jeff Dunham – Achmed the Dead Terrorist (106,529,954 views)
You can watch them via The Guardian‘s technology blog.
* * *